NEWSLETTER JULY 31TH 📅 – 5 THINGS TO READ AND A JOKE
The times they are a-changing! What NEW things did we pick up, enjoyed, etc?
1) NEW company pivot you didn’t expect : Throughout the years, standalone camera’s became as popular as a fart in a spacesuit. Things needed to change at camera company ‘Kanon’. Big time. So they pivoted into .. -waitforit- pharmaceuticals. The US government recently gave the company a whopping $765 million loan to support its efforts to produce ingredients needed for drug manufacturing. Let’s hope this pivot turns out better than their previous company pivot into their ‘Kodakcoin’ cryptocurrency.. (I wish I was joking.)
2) NEW article we enjoyed reading: If you scroll through Instagram/Facebook every once in awhile, you’ve probably encountered a shady looking business called Wish. Wish seems to sell all kinds of crazy stuff on their website. How crazy you might ask? I’ve seen ads for a prosthetic tongue… Nuff said! If you haven’t encountered these odd ads yet, consider yourself lucky. The tricky thing is that, despite these weird ads, Wish is a massive multi-billion dollar company.. Check out this interesting article on WHY wish uses these weird ads.
3) NEW tool you should check out: User experience testing .. Device testing .. Browser testing .. Creating a website is all about testing. But have you heard about accessibility testing? Use this free accessibility audit to test if your website is easy to navigate for visual/hearing impaired peeps. You might think this isn’t THAT important. But did you know that for example, 8% of men are colorblind? Something to think about. Full disclosure, we failed the test. Miserably.
4) NEW niche we discovered: We don’t like people telling us all good ideas are already taken. Get creative! There is always a niche you can jump into. Like Zappos recently did. The (Amazon-owned) eCommerce retailer will start selling single shoes & mixed pair shoes. Apparently, the market for footwear designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities and specific health conditions is expected to reach $10.6 billion by 2024. Cool! But why is the one-legged market segment growing larger & larger though? 🤔
5) NEW insight you probably didn’t realize : I don’t want to presume anything buttt .. chances are pretty slim you’re an advanced data scientist who is familiar with machine learning & AI. But did you know you (yes, YOU!) have been training AI models for years now? Don’t believe me? Read this article and be amazed. Long story short. Remember last time when a reCAPTCHA asked you to identify a street sign? You were basically helping Google’s self-driving cars navigate the streets. Kudos!
1) Joke : reCAPTCHA’s are hard sometimes.. We’ve all been there..
That’s it for now. If all goes well, you’ll hear from us in 2 weeks. Enjoy the sun!